Back in the days, when I was about 10 or 12 years old, me and my classmates went on a school trip to a nursing home. We went to give them basic hygiene supplies and food because the institution was/is really poor and doesn't receive that much money from the government (Oh, the joy of living in a 3rd world country).
The place was really sad and the people in there reminded me of my grandma and my great-grandma. I mean, who would put away their loved ones in a nursing home? Some of them needed to be there though. There were a lot of them that had mental problems, some were blind or deaf, and there were many that had alzheimer.
After that visit, me being a kid, just thought: "If I were to choose to have a discapacity what would it be?" So, I choose that I would rather be deaf than blind or any other discapacity. If I were deaf I'd still feel music through it's vibrations, I would have my sight and could still paint. That was all I cared about at that time, painting.
I was (and still I'm) terrified of the slightest idea of being blind. It's just scary, it even gets on my nerves when there are pointy stuff near my face/eyes (sharpened pencils eeeekk).
OK, so in march of this year I started having really horrible headaches and my sight started getting all blurry. I went to an eye specialist and he found what happened to be macular holes. He didn't even tell me how many, I just saw the drawing he made pointing out where were they (there were a lot).
So, he said I needed glasses because I had hypermetropia and that I needed eye surgery...
I went to another specialist and he confirmed to me that, yes I had macular degeneration and therefore macular holes. BUT I wasn't going to need surgery due to the fact that there is no record on my family history of macular holes, meaning that there is almost no chance that my retina might pull off.
I still have to check my eyes every 6 months, take special care of them because of my macular degeneration (always use sunglasses and a special diet) and wear my reading glasses.
I bought my glasses, which were really cheap (and ugly). I needed them really fast, the headaches were killing me, so I wasn't really looking for the aesthetics... Good news is that my glasses prescription is going to be changed for september, which is the perfect excuse to search for new glasses! I was thinking of getting big vintage glasses.
Johnny Depp via urbanoptiques.com, Woody Allen via technorati.com, Buddy Holly via slectspecs.com, Lady gaga via favim.com
Of course, I've kept this all for myself. So, it was a huge surprise for me when my dad came from New York and handed me this beauty:
That was exactly what I was looking for and he had no idea!!! He just happened to like them. Who would have thought we have the same sense of style? Can't wait to get my new prescription and adjust my new glasses!!! (sorry for the low quality photobooth pictures, I've got no camera).
Me and my crappy photobooth pictures.












haha, i'm stuck with no camera and only photobooth for pictures at the moment. it gets annoying when you want to do a good inspiration post! love the glasses, i have ones like that but in neon yellow and they are just plastic lenses because i have 20/20 vision. or something like that anyway.
ReplyDeletemuch love, your newest follower- neonrosefashion.blogspot.com